natalie dormer by karl simone
London, 7th September 1973 (Photo by Michael Putland)
- ask children before you hug them
- ask children before you pick them up
- if moving a child is unavoidable for their safety, at least warn them first and explain afterwards
- this applies to disabled children
- this applies to non- or pre-verbal children, since words are not the only kind of consent or language
- treat a child as you wish people had treated you
children are people. they will remember you violating their boundaries for their whole lives and it will irreparably damage how they view their worth as people.
don’t teach your kids that they should unquestioningly accept touch no matter what. teach them they deserve respect.
this is a really on-point post. My youngest went through a phase of refusing to hug people and my parents were like, “she’s being rude” etc and i was like “buuut isn’t this actually a fantastic thing for a child esp for a little girl, to be able to tell people NO and assert her own boundaries even if it means risking disapproval??” like really it was awesome and im so proud of her. And really, you can have all the conversations about safety and abuse but the absolute best way to teach your kids about consent is to model it and show them with your own actions that their bodies are their own and NO ONE ELSE, including their family, are entitled to it.
the only valentine’s day cards i’ll accept
If you ever date an asexual person be sure to get the specifics of their asexuality because the level of comfort with physical contact is different for all of us.
THIS IS SERIOUSLY IMPORTANT
not going to school today bc i’m still sick and now i have to email teachers about my assignments ughhhhhh
- Woman behind an iconic protest photo shares her story
- The Science of Your Racist Brain
- Protests continue despite storm (x) (x) (x) (x) (x)
- Another video from the Justice for Mike Brown Rally in DC
- Still no explanation for why “Support Darren Wilson” page was shut down
- Time for real change in Ferguson and beyond
- Only way Darren Wilson’s gun could have been wrestled over is if he had it already pulled out (x)
- America’s law enforcement needs greater accountability
EVERYONE KEEP TURNING THE EFF UP!!!